A few weeks ago, Farmer John sent me a care package of food products for me to get creative in the kitchen. I haven’t used ground pork much in the past but when I do buy it, I prefer it extra lean and high quality meat, which is exactly what I got.
Inspired by my crab-stuffed mushrooms (and the glorious mushroom caps I got at Costco) I decided to try my hand at some pork-stuffed mushrooms and boy were they tasty! You don’t need many ingredients and the mushrooms are satisfying enough to be served as a meal with a side salad. Plus, it’s an easy “prep ahead” meal that can be made and served hot when it’s time for dinner. Recipe below!
- 1 lb. Farmer John ground pork
- 6 jumbo portobello mushroom caps
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 yellow pepper
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- Garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Saute peppers and onions in olive oil.
- Add spinach and cover until wilted. About 2 minutes.
- Season ground pork with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Add to pot, cover and cook until meat is brown.
- Add shredded mozzarella and parmesan.
- Stuff the mushroom caps and top with shredded parmesan or mozzarella if desired.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can easily make the meat mixture ahead for dinner parties and refrigerate! Then just stuff the mushroom caps, bake and serve.
You can find more tasty recipes here.