I’m turning 30.
There. I said it. Now you all know the truth.
There’s something about entering a new decade, especially one as daunting as 30 (ack!) that makes every single nerve in your body start to panic. I’m 1/3 of the way done with my life. I still need to do X,Y,Z. I didn’t get A, B and C done. I’m not pretty enough. Skinny enough. Successful enough. My life is running away from me! Says this little evil voice in the back of most women’s heads and seems to come to a ROAR when birthdays are looming. Trust me. Mine has been there since January.
But I can’t really escape it anymore. The time is here….so to that little voice in the back of my head that’s gotten ever so loud this past month I just have one thing to say:
No, things aren’t perfect. But it was pretty ridiculous to expect them to be by a fictitious landmark date like a birthday anyway. I did make a list of things I wanted to accomplish by the time I reached this age. Some I did, some I didn’t. But instead of focusing on all the things I don’t have, it’s far more productive to think of all the things I do. And I can think of at least 30 (listed in no particular order.) So, here goes…
- I’m writing this post from my beautiful white office. In my home, where I’m a self-employed writer and that feels pretty fabulous.
- I can see the herbs I’m growing from my window. Yes, I’m growing greens!
- My handsome fiancé is downstairs. I can probably fill the rest of this list with just that. But I won’t bore you
- I love my Lola. And even though I never wanted a cat, Rico has grown on me too.
- I still can’t stand AZ summers but it’s nice to be close to family.
- I bought a condo.
- This year my work has taken me to some extraordinary places like Australia, Costa Rica and Europe, too.
- Friends that step up when you need them are priceless. I have those.
- I graduated college.
- I got my first real job, then started my own business.
- I’m getting two new sisters. I’m an only child so I am excited for this!
- My blog has grown tremendously from where I began. Thanks to all of you for all of the support and continuing to read!
- In my 20s I traveled to Paris twice and went to New York Fashion Week for the first time.
- I got to meet and interview some pretty fabulous people I admire like Christian Louboutin and Laura Mercier (no I did not get a free pair of Loubs).
- This year, we live on a resort. We can order room service and have a bartender at our pool. Some nice perks to soak before we start a family.
- My family is getting bigger, but I’m still spoiled
- And even though I am, they love me anyway (it’s an only child thing)
- I’m cooking a lot more now and totally love it. For some reason, people don’t think I cook. I do!
- My business is growing.
- This year I went zip lining and stand-up paddle boarding–I can be adventurous!
- Age is a blessing, not a curse. I’m still here, still breathing, still O.K.
- I live close to my family. That’s something not to be taken for granted.
- I got my first Mac and I love it! (No one said this list couldn’t include fun stuff right?)
- The chapter in my life about dating duds is officially over!
- I still get excited every time I break into a new magazine market and see my name in print.
- I’m (hoping) to be finally done with that phase in life where friendships and relationships take on excess drama.
- My style has evolved. Always a good thing!
- I am 100 times more confident than I was at 25. 1,000 times more confident than I was at 20.
- I will never be perfect, but that’s O.K.
- And last but not least…..30 really is the new 20, isn’t it?
For constant style and beauty chatter, connect with me on Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest, too.