In this week’s episode of Behind the Veil, I finally get to see my engagement photos. I was so thrilled with how they turned out but let me just tell you, I totally agonized over what to wear! Like any bride, I really wanted them to turn out perfect. I wanted to look stylish, but not like I tried. I wanted us to look complementary, but not like we color coordinated. In short, I wanted to truly achieve effortless style (with a hint of glamour, too.)
So to keep things simple and not kill myself overanalzying, I aimed for three looks:
- Cute and casual
- Almost dressy
- Evening glamour
For our “cute and casual” look, I figured there could be no wrong with jeans and a tee. After all, there’s no use in having engagement photos shot that aren’t true to your life. And no matter who you are or what your style is, chances are you and your beau probably do spend some time wearing a few basics.
I had the hardest time settling on an “almost dressy” look. We shot at McMormick Stillman Railroad Park, so while I wanted to look date night ready, I didn’t want to look crazy out of place with stilletos sinking into the grass. Here are a few principles to keep in mind:
- Color always looks great. Try to look outside your black and white or nude-toned comfort zone.
- Don’t wear something you wouldn’t wear in real life.
- Be comfortable. Confidence shows in your pictures!
- You don’t have to wear matching colored shirts, but you can find colors that are complementary.
- Keep your venue in mind. At the park, wedges were most appropriate for our picnic date.
Lastly, I wanted a formal look. If it’s not quite a fit for you as a couple, I would recommend something cocktail-hourish like a little black dress and heels.
For more tips on getting great engagement and wedding photos, check out Episode 4 of Behind the Veil below.
Do you know what you’re wearing for your engagement photos?